Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Trip to Roma






Hey Everybody,
I figured since I have been back for a month I had better put something up about out trip to Rome. It was great is all I can say. I arrived on a Sunday and picked up the rental car and got the Hotel room and Phyllis and Shae showed up on Monday and we got busy with the sightseeing. It is really hard to put into words the sights in Rome other than astounding. AS Phyllis kept saying, everything is so huge. All of the buildings in Rome, especially the religious ones are absolutely monstrous. It boggles the mind to think how long it must have taken to build some of the stuff there. We went and saw all of the sites that we could find as we were doing this independently and not with a tour group. Tour groups may see a few more things but by doing it on our own, we lived by our own schedule and saw what we wanted to see, not what they wanted to show us. Driving in Italy is not something for the faint of heart or the timid. Having been there before during my naval career, it didn't bother me too much, You just have to drive like they do. AGGRESSIVE. If any of you ever go to Italy you must make a trip to the Isle of Capri. It is absolutely one of the most gorgeous places on earth. Not cheap by any means, but you can tell that from the 220 foot yachts sitting out in the bay. It is a lot of up and down walking and a lot of shopping opportunities, but the scenery is what takes your breath away the most. The water around the island is the most azure blue you have ever seen and it just takes your breath away to see it. I could have just sat on our balcony and looked out at the water and been perfectly happy, but we did get out and walk around and window shop. Most of the shops there are out of my price range even with the money I am making over here. Shops like Gucci and Prada just to name a couple. They all have names that you here when you are watching entertainment tonight on TV. We saw some people we though might be Movie or TV types but we will never know for sure. I really didn't care because I was enjoying relaxing too much. Probably the only down side of the whole trip was the heat. Europe was suffering a heat wave while we were there and it was HOT. It was over 100 most of the time we were there but in the evening it cooled off really nice. Overall I think it was really enjoyed by all and now the only trick is to figure out which trip I can do next to top this one. I am thinking an island resort somewhere where we are waited on hand and foot. In Between might be a trip to Vegas or the Florida Keys. That will after Phyllis shoulder heals up from her recent surgery. So far everything is going good and the doc said he was able to repair the damage to her rotator cuff so now begins the long road through rehab. I hope it heals up better than it was before the surgery. That is all I can hope for. Attached are a couple of pics form the trip and I will try to post more in the next couple of days.

1 comment:

Grandma Budke said...

So nice to see something other than that danged lizard on your blog, Chris. Enjoyed your travelog, too, as well as the pictures you added. Shae had told me that the traffic is mind-numbing
with no traffic lights or speed
postings--just brace your feet,here
we go!!